Surrender and Flow yoga overview

The first thing you should know about me is that I have an intense relationship with yoga. It's like being in love with someone who constantly surprises you. Sometimes in pleasant ways and other times in...well, ways that leave you with a bruise or two.

Let's talk about my escapades in the Surrender classes first. If yoga were a drug, then Surrender would be my personal brand of heroin. It's a tantalizing blend of stretching, meditation, and, get this, therapy! You heard me right. Imagine lying down, stretching every sore muscle in your body, and then someone telling you how fantastic you are. It's like a massage for your ego. They tell you to love yourself, and as you're soaking in all the positivity, you can't help but smirk and think, "Do I really believe all this yada yada?" Yet, there I am, week after week, absolutely *hooked*. Because let’s face it, even if I roll my eyes, a part of me craves that therapeutic affirmation.

Now, juxtapose this with the Flow classes. My introduction to Flow was nothing short of a comedy show. Picture this: a heated room, my sweaty self trying to transition gracefully from one pose to another, and instead producing a series of slapstick falls that could rival any comedy skit. It's not every day you attend a tranquil yoga class and end up being the soundtrack with your splats. And for the love of everything peaceful, don’t even get me started on remembering sequences. With the guided flow, at least you have someone leading you, almost holding your hand through the poses. But with the unguided? It's like a pop quiz where you didn't study and you're flipping through your mental notes trying to remember what comes next. 

But hey, I ventured to St. Louis Park Lifetime for a Restorative class, only to realize it's Surrender's twin. If they were on a dating app, I'd swipe right on both. To the untrained (or overly trained, in my case) eye, they're virtually identical.

Here's the takeaway: yoga, with all its unexpected turns and revelations, is a journey. It's raw, real, and every bit as unpredictable as life itself. The bruises? They're battle scars. The surrender? A guilty pleasure. The flow? A challenge to be revisited. Maybe not immediately, because, well, those bruises need some time. But someday, for sure.


All the best,

Fred

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Base run with Wendy.

Alpha Strength with Aaron

HOTWORX Cycle x3